Want to know how to use Cricut Maker? We’ve got you covered! There was a time when I was also a beginner when I entered the field of craft. I still remember when I hadn't even heard of Cricut machines. It was my senior Katie who told me about this machine. Thanks to her, I understood the significance of such crafting tools, and when making my purchase, I invested in Cricut Maker as it is capable of doing more than I expected.
In addition, I learned the entire process of operating the machine and creating eye-catching designs using Cricut Design Space. The process was really simple, and anyone can learn if they follow this blog. In this guide, I will talk about the Cricut machine setup and essential supplies, and finally, I will make a project using a Cricut Maker. Let’s get started!
Before we proceed to how to use Cricut Maker, you will first need to set up your Cricut machine. To set up this machine, you will need to download and install the Cricut app. Although I am using a Windows computer, the following setup is suitable for both Windows/Mac users. Let’s see how to set it up:
- First of all, take your machine and plug its cable into the power source.
- Then, turn on the Cricut Maker machine.
- After turning it on, visit the official website cricut.com/setup of Cricut using any browser such as Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firebox, etc.
- Here, download the compatible Design Space for your computer.
- Now, follow the simple instructions provided on the screen and sign in to your Cricut account.
- Finally, you are done with your Cricut Maker setup.
When you unbox your new Cricut machine, you will find several supplies and tools that will help you get started. For instance, you will find materials samples for your first Cricut project, a pen, and a blade. Some machines come with a cutting mat, but you will only find this in some machines. Besides, there will be a charging cord and USB cable.
Below, we will see what the other tools and supplies you need to get started with your first project on the Cricut Maker machine:
Materials quantity is only sufficient for the first project. After making your first project, you will need to buy new. See the below table to understand the materials requirements for different types of projects.
|Types of Projects
|Scrapbook Paper, Cardstock, and Vellum
|Adhesive Vinyl, Iron-On Vinyl, and Transfer Tape
|Cricut Infusible Ink
|Infusible Ink Sheets, Markers, and compatible Blank
If you are a Cricut Maker user, you can buy different types of Cricut blades and tools. Some examples of such tools are knife blades, engraving tools, rotary blades, and scoring tools. Different tools are used for different purposes and materials.
Most Cricut cutting machines do not come with cutting mats. Hence, you might need to buy some extra mats. In order to inform you, there are 4 different types of mats offered by Cricut based on their adhesive strengths. However, each mat is suitable for different materials. In addition to larger projects, you will need a mat that measures 12 inches or 12 inches x 24 inches.
Now, writing is also possible on your Cricut. You need to insert the pens into the tool holder of the Cricut machine and give it a command using Design Space. Rest, it will write anything you want quickly.
Finally, we have come to learn how to use Cricut Maker. To make it easy for you, I am going to make a design using a vinyl material, and then I will transfer it to my glass. Let’s follow the step-by-step instructions carefully:
- The first step was to set up your Cricut machine (refer to the first section of this blog).
- After setup, choose a premade design on the Cricut software.
- Then, choose your adhesive vinyl and stick it over the cutting mat. The mat will keep your vinyl material in one place while cutting.
- Now, load the mat and materials together into the machine. To load the mat, press the given button.
- Now, go to Design Space and select the material settings to send your premade design to your machine.
- Here, you have to press the Flashing button to start the cutting process.
- After cutting a design, remove the mat from your machine, including the materials.
- Finally, weed the design carefully and place it over your blank project, such as glass.
Cricut Maker is an advanced machine that can cut more than 300 materials easily. Also, this is everyone’s first choice. Hence, with the help of this guide, I am explaining how to use Cricut Maker for beginner users. Through this guide, I have explained how to set up the Cricut machine and what other tools and supplies I need to create a first project. After that, I have finally explained the use of Cricut Maker with easy step by step instructions.
The possibilities with Cricut Maker are endless. Since the Maker machine is capable of cutting a wide range of materials up to 300, you can make several items easily. Below, I have described some of the projects that you can make on your machine:
- Leather earrings
- Gift tags
- Customized T-shirt
- Paper cards
- Coffee mug
- Wood sign board
Cutting on a Cricut machine is possible without a mat. You need to finish your design and then follow the steps provided below:
- First, you need to hit the Make It button located in the top right corner.
- A pop-up will appear saying, “How will you lay all of your materials for this project?”.
- Here, you have to choose the option Without Mat and then hit the Done button.
- Further, load the material by pressing a button on the machine.
- Finally, Cricut will cut your design.
The Cricut Design software, which is sometimes also known as the Cricut app or software, is completely free of cost and provides various ready-made projects for beginner crafters. Using this app is super easy due to its simple interface. However, there are many resources available for which you will need to get the Cricut Access plan. Otherwise, Cricut doesn’t charge for using its software. Rather, it charges for its premium resources.
Source: How to Use Cricut Maker